Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Yes, Jesus Ate With Sinners

You may have seen slogans such as this one:


What it claims appears to be duplicitous or ignorant of what Jesus said and did, or both.

According to the Gospels, Jesus did in fact dine with thieves, prostitutes, and other sinners and criminals. And in most instances He explicitly forgave them of their sins.


But He never claimed that what they were doing was NOT a sin. He acknowledged their sin, forgave them, and then urged them to sin no more. He did not redefine their sins to be non-sins.


And He also said this:


For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matthew 5:18 KJV

In other words, according to Jesus sin is sin and G-d's law will be fulfilled. Nothing you or I can do will negate that.


So, out of compassion I will bake that cake for you if you still want it. I'll even share it with you if you choose to invite me to your table. I will not, however, tell you that you are not a sinner.


You'll have to take up that issue with G-d at the proper time.

No comments:

Post a Comment